03 March 2011

gratitude

I think it is easy to get caught up in all the things I want to do that are not getting done or that are taking more time than I had hoped.


It is easy to feel that I don't have all the things that I want or that I am not yet the person I want to be.


For me, it has always been far easier to look at the negative, the blank spaces in my life.


I have really been trying to change that.

I imagine that very few people think that their life is perfect. We all have things we want to change and shortcomings that we would like to fix.


Paraphrasing murphy: No matter how bad things are they could always be worse. Instead of looking at all the things that need improvement I like to look at all the good things I have. When I do this I end up feeling very blessed indeed. (I think I may be reading a little too much Austen...)

And so today...some gratitude.


I am so grateful for an amazing hubby who I love and who loves me. I am always amazed how each year our love continues to grow. I have been blessed with a happy marriage.


I am very grateful for four healthy children who bring so much joy into my life (although that joy does come with just a little bit of insanity - but it's all good!)


I have been blessed with a supportive and loving extended family who help me and my family in so many ways.

I have my health.

Those things alone make life good.

But I also have been blessed with a home to live in, food to eat, clothes to wear, my husband has a job, I have more books than I may be able to read in my lifetime, my kids are learning and growing everyday, my student loan was finally approved (YAY!) and I can start a new semester of school in June, I live in a beautiful country where I can experience a high quality of life (even while living below the poverty level), I am able to supply my children with all the necessities of life, and even though I do not have everything I want, I have everything I need.

And really, who can ask for more than that?

1 comment:

  1. Hi Joanna,
    Such a lovely post. It does seem easier to notice the have nots rather than the haves...but we can try to be better:)
    I see you too are a sister of Austen? I read Pride and Prejudice every year and I still enjoy it just as much. Thanks for stopping by my blog!
    Tracy

    ReplyDelete