17 March 2011

Canada, Maple Syrup and a Scone

I love maple syrup.

Wait...let me go back a little farther.

I love Canada.


I love being Canadian and I love that I have lived on both the West and the East coasts. I love so many things that it would take all day to list what I love about this great country.

(Just to make it clear...I do not love beer and hockey, drive a pick up truck, live in an igloo, or beat small seals with a club. I am not a red neck and I do not punctuate the end of every sentence with eh?...for that matter I do not call people hosers either...although I do own Bob and Doug's 2-4 anniversary special on DVD.  But, that is not what I want to talk about...)

Today, I wanted to talk about one of my favourite Canadian products - Maple Syrup and yes I do realize that Maple Syrup is made in the north east of the U.S. as well. But, did you know that according to agriculture Canada (see here for more info) Canada produces 85% of the world's maple syrup...so I call that a Canadian product. YUM.

Living in Nova Scotia we were lucky enough to visit here a few times during sugaring season.


We loved seeing how they turned, well, basically tree sap...into something so delicous...


I can see why the sugar maple leaf was chosen for the flag...what could be wrong with a country that produces 40,000 tonnes of maple syrup annually! Who doesn't love that? And while I know today is St. Paddy's Day and I should be making green food or something...I just couldn't get into an Irish mood...I don't think I have a drop of Irish blood. And there is not one part of me that would ever want a green beer. (is that even Irish?) This morning I am feeling more dark amber than green and more Canadian than Irish. So, I whipped up a batch of yummy rustic oatmeal, maple scones (actually oatmeal scones might be more Irish than green beer).


 I thought I would share...these are best warm from the oven and they are excellent with a cup of chopped walnuts added to the dry ingredients. Oh...and I confess I did overbake these just a little...I was trying to find our sugar farm photos and missed them being just perfect...but they were still very good.

Oatmeal, Maple Scones:

preheat oven to 400 degrees F

In a medium sized bowl mix together:

1 1/2 cups flour (I used 3/4 cup all purpose and 3/4 cup whole wheat but you can use all all-purpose or substitute the whole wheat for spelt)
1 cup rolled oats (Quick oats not instant)
1/3 cup oat bran
1 Tbsp baking powder
1/4 tsp salt

Cut in 1/4 cup butter

In a small bowl whisk together 1 egg, 1/3 cup maple syrup and 1/2 cup milk.

Add wet ingredients to the dry and mix until combined. (do not overmix).

form into scones (I used an ice cream scoop) or you can flatten into a disk and cut into perfect circles with a cookie cutter or cut into wedges. Place on silpat or parchment lined cookie sheet, sprinkle tops with maple sugar (if desired...and really who doesn't!) and place in preheated oven for approximately 15 minutes. Serve warm...


Oh...and they would be very good with maple butter...

Enjoy!


1 comment:

  1. That looks yummy! I enjoy your photos. I lived in Nova Scotia for 20 years and, sadly, I have never taken in the maple syrup production tours. :o( This year I said I would go, but alas, once again it has come and gone and I missed it. But that doesn't stop me from loving maple syrup. Have you ever been to Acadian Maple Products on Peggy's Cove Road? They make everything imaginable from their maple syrup. Delicious!

    ReplyDelete