29 March 2011

cousins

Most of my memories of growing up include cousins. I have a lot. They were a big part of my childhood. I am so happy that my kids have cousins that are a big part of their childhood as well. Friends are great, but family is...well, family.

This spring break my sister and her family have been visiting. Our days have been pretty ordinary, but for my kids ordinary days + cousins = an extraordinary good time.


Even the simplest things are so much more fun with the cousins.

Between the two of us, my sister and I have eight kids. Six boys...they range in age from 3 to 9 and two girls ages 3 and 11. My 11 year old being so much more grown up and way too mature to play with "kids" usually keeps herself out of the "fun".  But having the other seven together is like a party every day.



The kids have had a great time enjoying the new "spring" weather running around outside. My sister and I for the first time in years have enjoyed not having any toddlers around so we can sit, relax a little and visit.


I actually can not stress enough how much I have LOVED not having a toddler that I have to have my eyes focused on at ALL times. I have loved not having to pull rocks and other such lovelies out of mouths and no changing of diapers! The kids have enjoyed a bit of freedom and so have I.


From mud pies to explorations to tag and even pretending the old hose is a horse the kids have had a great time using their imaginations and playing outside. I have loved visiting with my sister in a way that we haven't been able to in a long time and the 11 year old...well, having an quiet empty house all to herself during the day?...priceless. (The poor girl shares a room with three brothers!) This is one of the best spring breaks ever!

No comments:

Post a Comment