10 March 2011

Today's Lunch

Chicken, prawn and broccoli capellini


with coconut muffins for dessert...


I wanted to make something yummy for the kids for lunch...I was feeling a little creative; but I didn't have a lot of time. This is what I came up with, I hope you enjoy!

I first pulled out a couple bowls to make up a new muffin recipe...I was all out of milk and yogurt and sour cream but I saw a can of coconut milk on the shelf...coconut muffins...perfect!

First put a large pot of water on stove for capellini...then proceed with muffins.

Preheat oven to 350 degrees F

In a medium bowl combine:

1 1/2 cups flour
3/4 cup sugar (these are definately dessert muffins)
1 1/4 cup unsweetened shredded coconut
1 tsp baking powder
1/2 tsp baking soda
1/2 tsp salt
1/4 tsp fresh grated nutmeg

In a seperate bowl whisk together:

1 egg (the last one...time to go shopping)
2 tsp vanilla
1 1/4 cup coconut milk
1/4 cup melted butter

add wet ingredients to the dry stir until just combined. Place into lined muffin tins (or if you have run out like I have just cut squares of parchment paper...works great!) Sprinkle tops with additional coconut and vanilla sugar about 2 Tbsp of each total (if desired) and place in oven for approximately 20 minutes.


Then I needed to make something to use up the extra coconut milk...

Shrimp, Chicken and Broccoli Capellini -serves 6

Heat wok on stove.

When water is boiling put one package (500g) Capellini in water (I prefer De Cecco brand).

In wok pour in approx. 2 tsp oil.

Make sure wok is very hot and then toss in 2 cubed chicken breasts stir fry for a few seconds

Then add 1 head of broccoli chopped and stir fry for a few seconds

Then add approximately 30 prawns (prepared - peeled, deveined - tails on or off your choice - I left mine on, my kids prefer it that way).

Add three chopped (I actually use kitchen shears) scallions continue to stir

When it is nearly ready add 1/4 cup red or green pepper jelly (I made a bunch last summer during my canning frenzy) along with 1/4 cup tamari (or soy sauce) and approximately 1/2 cup coconut milk (whatever is left after making coconut muffins) and 1 tsp to 1Tbsp toasted sesame oil to taste.
Check seasoning adjust to taste and take off heat.

By this time the pasta should be done (it may be done a bit sooner - if so drain before it gets soggy) and add pasta to wok.

Mix lightly, pour onto serving platter and serve.


Yum...the kids were ALL very happy!

My eldest son declared this his second favourite dish after shrimp scampi


And they all begged for seconds on dessert...



1 comment: