28 May 2012

Why I Need to Take my Camera Everywhere

This morning I learned a very important lesson...



MY PHOTO
BEAUTIFUL MAMA DEER
AND HER NEWBORN BABY



Do not go anywhere without my camera. The soon to be 5 year old and I took the back roads home after dropping the kids off at school. Half way home, I had to pull over to the side of the road to watch a mama deer licking what looked to be a very new baby deer. It was the smallest deer I have ever seen...it took a few steps on wobbly legs closer to his mama to have a drink. SO CUTE! And me without my camera... it was a great moment for me and my baby boy who isn't so much of a baby anymore.

Yesterday afternoon our family enjoyed visiting a few local farms for open farm day...


we visited a local asparagus farm where we enjoyed a tasting of grilled asparagus and cream of asparagus soup (the kids all loved it and I think it will be on tonight's dinner menu).


The kids also enjoyed learning how to pick asparagus and eating their pickings raw.


My favourite moment may have been when the farmer pointed out the field of barley and I was able to listen to my 7 and 9 year olds "discuss" how much they loved barley and trying to figure out how many bowls of beef barley soup mom could make with this field. I loved watching their eyes light up at the thought. And I felt a little surge of pride (and a hint of sadness) as the farmer remarked how impressed she was that they would make those kinds of connections as most kids can't anymore...wouldn't it be great if all kids could do that!


At the pasture-raised chicken farm we were able to go for a ride on a horse drawn cart...


and watch chickens scratching around outside just like they did in the "good old days".


We saw how chickens can live and thrive outside with moveable houses and electric fence.

After a long afternoon visiting farms we headed home to play outside and cook up some leftovers...


I purposefully bought and boiled a few extra lobsters because the best kind of leftovers always involves lobster...


I put a pot of water on to boil...tossed in a box of linguine...deshelled and chopped up the extra lobsters and a handful of flat leaf parsley...


I melted some butter in a saucepan and tossed in the lobster and parsley ( I would have added a squeeze of fresh lemon but I was all out of fresh lemons)...


After a couple of minutes when the pasta was done I tossed it with the lobster mix...


pulled the leftover tossed salad out of the fridge and created the fastest, easiest, loved by all, Sunday supper...

have I mentioned yet how much I love week-ends?

No comments:

Post a Comment