03 June 2012

Davison's Orchard

Friday morning after dropping off all the kids at school I decided to take my youngest up to the local orchard to play for a bit.


For some reason, I always feel guilty taking him to fun places without the other kids because I don't want them to miss out (and I also know that they will not be happy when they find out what they missed!) I don't know why I feel this way. We had so much fun hanging out together for some "just me and you time".


The weather wasn't great and it was early so we were the only customers there for awhile. Mr. Davison the owner came over to talk to us and when my boy was too shy to share his name, Mr. Davison decided to call him Fred and gave him a free cookie. When Mr. Davison asked if he could offer me a dollar to keep "Fred" - I (of course) declined, but "Fred" said okay... I think he really wanted to live at the orchard, be a farmer and eat cookies all day.


My baby will be five this month. He's growing up so fast. He starts school in September and we have very few days left with just the two of us. I am trying to enjoy our last days like this together.


I have been taking my babies up to the orchard since my oldest was an infant in a stroller. Davison's has   always been one of my favourite places to visit.


Each year it seems to get bigger, busier and a little more touristy. Now when I go it is usually early on a week-day morning when it still feels like a farm and not like an amusement park.


Even though it can get very busy, it is still a working orchard with three generations of the Davison family working together.


That is one of my favourite things about the farm. Generations working together on the family farm: keeping it active, keeping it relevant, working together and giving others the opportunity to get out and see where food is grown. I love that. I want that.


While I am waiting to realize my dream of having my own family farm (that may or may not ever become reality) I am grateful that I have a place to go where I can take my kids and teach them about where our food comes from and where we can spend time with some animals and play outside. 

My baby's approaching birthday has really made me think about how fleeting my time with my kids is and how quickly they are growing. I know I need to take more time to enjoy their smiles and laughter because before I know it they will be grown. But...I don't really want to think about that just yet.



No comments:

Post a Comment