13 April 2010

off my bookshelf


I read a lot. I always have. Some of my earliest memories are exploring the kids section of the White Rock library. I remember looking at shelves and pulling off book after book and thinking "I've read that, read that, read that". It was always a challenge to find something that I hadn't already read. Although, I did have favourites that made it back to my bedroom over and over again.

When I moved across the country with my family we had to get rid of a lot of stuff. We had a trailer that we towed across with us that contained all of our worldly possessions. About half of that trailer was filled with books. Every week I usually read (or read from) a number of books and  I thought I would share what has come off my bookshelf this week.


I've been wanting to read Walden for a long time and since I had to read sections of it for an American Literature class I am taking I thought I had a good excuse to buy it and read the whole thing...it's for school.


I love Michael Smith and his great no knead bread recipe. I think I have made at least fifty loaves since I got this book last fall. So easy and so good...I don't even buy bread anymore.



This is my 2 1/2 year olds "book of the week". He always seems to have a weekly favourite that I read to him over and over and over and over...I think I have read this book about 20 times this week. It is not the most polite of children's books, but it is pretty funny. My kids have all liked it anyway and it does help get rid of the grumps.




I LOVE the British Edition of Country Living magazine. I will drive long distances to get a copy. I have a fairly large collection that moved across the country with me. I have copies from the 90's that are still in style. I have been feeling kind of flowery this week, so I have been looking at a few appropriate copies. Did I say that I love this magazine?
It is my favourite.



As I said, I've been feeling flowery this week.




The other magazine I have been reading this week. I have a bit of a magazine addiction. I found after I had kids that I just didn't have time during the day to read books and I hate going through the day without reading something. I am getting better and I am cutting down. Only two this month...so far. 




My ten year old and I have been reading the Harry Potter series together. We read the first five and then took a long break to read some girly books ( the first three Anne of Green Gables, Black Beauty and A Little Princess) but decided we wanted to read the seventh book before seeing the movie (we've seen all the movies before reading the books) the sixth movie got us interested again so we are back at Hogwarts.



My 5 year old pulled this one off the shelf; he likes chickens. I often look at organic/farming books with the kids. They are always full of animals and food which entertain the kids (and me) and I get a break from the 21st reading of "What are you so grumpy about". It's a win/win really.



Another book I have been reading with my two year old; we both like it.



A couple books I have been rereading for my literature course. I'm just finishing off an essay on justice and have been rereading the books for quotes.



My current favourite cookbook. I love cookbooks. I read them from cover to cover. I always have a couple of cookbooks I am reading. This one is really making me want fresh food. Spring is SO SLOW in coming to Nova Scotia; it is coming but I want some fresh food now! I do hear that fresh food is available in Halifax...so maybe it's time for a trip. I am REALLY missing the organic CSA I belonged to before I moved...it's starting up again soon...aahh..fresh greens...rhubarb...radishes...I miss you.





My seven year olds pick...he loves dinosaurs. We have been working our way through this series...he is really enjoying them...we've been trying to imagine where we could go to find this place...first we need to find an ammonite fossil...we are looking.



So, that is what has come off my bookshelf this week. What have you taken off yours?

4 comments:

  1. My son and I love to find different libraries and bookstores. We're both book addicts. The British mags are so nice. Pricey but worth it. We are also HUGE Potter fans and it's always nice to meet other ones. Thanks for a great post and for stopping by!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow girl, ya'll read some books! Good ones too!!!

    Glad you found me and I'm glad that you left a sweet, encouraging comment on my "blogging for newbies" post. It takes a lot of courage to get yourself out there for the whole world to see but there are great rewards in the form of friends, inspiration and education.

    You have a beautiful blog Joanna, I love the way you are so personal and passionate about your family. Being a mother, a student, and a wife is full time jobs in themselves. I think it's great you balance it out with your creativity and your love of reading.

    Nice meeting you and don't be a stranger :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh my! How I would love to raid your bookshelves. All these books look amazing!
    If you couldn't tell....I love a good book ;) and a good blog! you have a lovely one here~

    ReplyDelete
  4. Love your Blog Joey!.......You are so creative! and what a writer, miss you hugs!

    ReplyDelete