19 August 2013

Historical Architecture and a Little Perspective...Summer is Winding Down

Over the last few days I have really felt the summer winding down. I have been trying to cram in as much learning time as I can in between all the other things that need to get done.


My kids are noticing dinner taking a little longer to get to the table as I play around with recipes and my camera - always trying to improve and learn new things. (Today's dinner was a pounded chicken breast stuffed with a mixture of swiss chard and feta wrapped in bacon and glazed with a mixture of maple syrup and dijon mustard, potatoes, and market beans)


I will be honest with you...the chicken was a little overcooked.  I still haven't mastered my timing and while I usually use the touch method to check for doneness I didn't take into consideration the soft filling - so I was fooled into cooking it longer thinking it wasn't quite done as it still felt too soft. On the plus side it tasted good and an extra glass of water never hurt anyone.

But, the potatoes... cooked in the same roasting pan as the chicken, crisping up in the bacon fat and picking up a little of the maple dijon glaze...oh my. yum. I have just raised the bar on potatoes in my house. There were people wiping their fingers in the serving bowl trying to capture the last little bits of deliciousness.

 In the kitchen I am really enjoying the peak of summer produce and looking forward to the huge fall harvests. I love this time of year.

We are at that time when the busyness of summer is beginning to collide with the coming of autumn...



The boys are coming to the end of their swimming lessons, I am frantically trying to finish up portfolios for my next educational adventures, fewer and fewer boxes remain to be unpacked, our pick up date and time for the Italian exchange student who will be spending the semester with us has been finalized, and I am gathering all the papers necessary for registering my kids for school this week.


In the midst of all of this we are trying to sneak in all of the exploration time that we can.


There are so many places left to discover... and so little time and money to do it with. (We are hoping that this is the week that my husband's job is finalized so I can put the finishing touches on my plans for September).

I am trying to avoid stress and still take time to relax and enjoy the little things around our neighbourhood.


I love being able to go for walks with my family (and I especially love that my boys are young enough to still get a thrill at picking wildflowers for their mom).


One of my favourite things about my neighbourhood is all of the old homes.


I really enjoy looking at the architecture and imagining what life was like here a hundred years ago.


This is probably one of the few neighbourhoods in Canada that hasn't changed much in the past century.


While there are a few newer homes (and by newer I mean about sixty or seventy years old)...


Most of the houses were built around 1900 when this was a thriving city. There are dozens and dozens of historical homes down the beautiful tree lined streets where I live. It is relaxing just to take a walk around the neighbourhood and as I do I am reminded that life continues. Things that seem stressful today will probably be forgotten soon. I love living amongst all of this history - it helps me put my life into perspective and prioritize what is really important. Life is short...and I need to take the time to appreciate what I have...and to keep learning. There are so many things that I want to do and learn I don't think I will ever get to them all in this lifetime - but I will die trying!


We often walk until the darkening skies remind us that it is time to go home and get the kids into bed. The pace of life is slower here and I already feel myself adjusting to the difference. In spite of the busyness - I am calmer, more relaxed and less worried about my troubles. Things will be okay. 

Just think of all the troubles these houses have seen... and they are still standing strong and beautiful.

1 comment:

  1. I love this post beautiful pictures meal and I LOVE homes like that makes me want to live on your street!! I love the feel of your post! Looks like life is good! You are such a great mom!

    ReplyDelete