07 June 2012

School Morning Breakfasts

My family loves the idea of full farm breakfasts. (Last year I read Farmer Boy by Laura Ingalls Wilder to my boys and I think they were most impressed with what Almanzo ate). Often when I ask them what they want to eat for breakfast, they respond with "sausages, bacon, eggs, pancakes, waffles, PUMPKIN PIE!" And yes, they do mean all at once. Now, since we do not live on a farm with our own meat and eggs and we are not all heading out to a day's work of heavy labour that might warrant such a huge intake of calories all at once, our breakfast is usually a little more simplified. 

Especially on school mornings.

(I really miss homeschool mornings when we didn't have to rush out the door and I could spend a little more time in the kitchen making something warm and yummy for my family).

I am not much of a morning person and rarely get out of bed before six...I just can't seem to make myself into one of those moms who can get up hours before the children to get everything organized for my day. I've read about those moms who get up at 4:30 or some other crazy hour to have their alone time, go for a run and then have everything all organized and ready to go when the kids wake up. That is definitely NOT me. I am lucky if I can drag myself out of bed before 6:30. My hubby heads to work early and is usually out the door well before seven and I am left to organize the masses on my own. 

These days the kids' breakfast usually consists of a bowl of cereal or a piece or two of toast. Honestly, some days are so crazy they are lucky they get breakfast at all. A few times a week I do manage to pull something out of the oven, usually scones or muffins that can also be used to supplement the lunch boxes. But, on those rare occasions (usually when I haven't been up until midnight doing homework) when I am feeling awake and in control when 6:30 rolls around I like to make pancakes.

The kids always love those mornings. My hubby usually makes the pancakes in the family and many week-end breakfasts have included Dad's yummy fluffy white pancakes. But, school mornings call for something a little more filling and nutritious. So, I started making "school morning pancakes". The kids fill up on a warm breakfast and I get to pretend that I am a farmers wife out on the prairie. I love days that start this way...


School Morning Pancakes:

In a large bowl whisk together:

1 cup all purpose flour
1/2 cup whole wheat flour
1/4 cup oat bran
1/2 cup finely ground walnuts
1 Tbsp Baking Powder
1 Tbsp Brown sugar (optional)
1/2 tsp salt

In a small bowl whisk together:

2 eggs
2 Tbsp canola oil (or melted butter)
1 1/2 cups milk
1 tsp vanilla

Add wet ingredients to dry and stir to combine. Heat a non-stick frying pan or cast iron griddle, grease if needed and spoon batter onto hot pan. Flip when bubbles pop and edges are starting to cook. Serve with pure maple syrup and butter (if desired).

Makes about 18

1 comment:

  1. I'm not a morning person either so I make pancakes for supper and then make enough for a few more day so the kids can just warm them up in the morning or eat them cold with some peanut butter and jam.
    That way I look like a great mom making healthy home cooked meals every day when in fact I only cook every couple of days.

    ReplyDelete