13 July 2012

Summer Fun

My two weeks off has somehow turned into three. I've been busy enjoying the summer break.

At the end of June, I finished my classes. What a relief. I was so happy to finally finish. I really pushed my limits this time. In my final week I had three all-nighters (almost - I was up until four. When I have kids getting up at 5:30 it feels like an all-nighter). My hubby has been great at keeping the kids quiet while he has been home this week. I feel like I am almost caught up on my sleep. 

Since I last wrote I have enjoyed many things. In addition to lazing around the house reading and watching a few episodes of  the Gilmore Girls and Master Chef with my daughter, I have really enjoyed...


1. Strawberry Season - Oh ~ how we LOVE strawberry season. I rarely buy strawberries from the store and so the entire family eagerly awaits the first red berries of the year.


I get my strawberries from our favourite organic growers. I have been spoiled. I mean, after eating berries that have just been picked and are this red in the centre, how could I possibly eat store bought berries that are usually white, hollow and tasteless in comparison. No offence, but these are really that good. When these are in season we eat a lot. I bought eighty pounds this year. We ate at least twenty pounds fresh,  made jam, strawberry pavlova, pie and our favourite strawberry pyrahi. I also froze quite a few for winter smoothies, pancake sauce, muffins and scones... Did I mention that I love strawberry season?

2. Peonies - big, pink peonies. Along with lilacs, hydrangeas, dahlias, daisies, and roses (I'll stop now), peonies are one of my favourite flowers.


We are really lucky this year to have a large peony bush in the yard. I picked almost every flower.


I know they look great outside, but I really loved having bouquets of peonies on my dining room table for a few weeks. 


3. My baby turning five.


I have heard how traumatic the youngest turning five could be. But, to be honest when he hit five... I felt ecstatic...giddy actually. He also finally learned how to put on his seatbelt by himself. I was pretty happy. I felt ten years younger, really. Nobody told me that would happen. Yes, I do miss my babies at times. I adored them, loved to smell them, cuddle them. I probably spent a little too much time with them...aside from my mother, I have only hired a babysitter once...in almost thirteen years. Hmm...that could be the reason I felt a little like Mel Gibson shouting "FREEDOM" ... or it could also be related to the lack of sleep. His birthday landed on all-nighter night number three. I may have to think some more about this one.

4. watching wildlife.


We have had so much fun this year watching all the wildlife that frequents our yard. This week we have enjoyed watching two does and their fawns. 


5. Hiking

I love hiking the local mountain with my family.

We went for a three and a half hour hike the other day while my hubby was home from work. It was a bit hazy (must be a forest fire somewhere)...


but we still enjoyed the view.



I especially liked watching the farmer haying his field. I used to go haying with my dad when I was younger...it was fun seeing the process from another perspective.

We also had visits with family. We really enjoyed having my brother-in-law's son with us for a few days. He is the same age as my oldest son, he lives quite a distance from us with his mom and so we have only seen him a few times. This is the first time we have had him here overnight. All the boys tented outside for the few days he was here and had a lot of fun. 

My other news is I found out I made the long list for CBC's Canada Writes Creative Non-fiction contest. I was really excited I was chosen. I haven't written much and to have my story chosen was a great honour. (I did not make the short list...but I am still really happy). I'll have to try again next year. 

Which brings me to today. Today, I very happily registered for my final classes. Because I am a little late I can't start until November. But, I have registered for the last time and as of 30 June 2013 (all else going well) I will (FINALLY) be a university graduate.

Good times.

No comments:

Post a Comment