09 April 2010

baking again...

This morning I spent more time on homework than I intended, leaving my two youngest to play on their own (and yes, I have a bit of motherly guilt about that...). So, this afternoon in an effort to make up for it I thought I would do some baking with the boys. I had a few egg yolks in the fridge from a previous baking session, so I thought I would make an upside down cake. I got the recipe a few years ago from a Martha Stewart magazine, it only uses egg yolks instead of whole eggs - perfect for using up excess yolks.




It has a yummy spice cake base and I believe Martha used halved plums and raspberries...which I have made before (I've also tried blueberries, apricots and cranberries...all good. But not at the same time, of course!)



 This time I thought I would try it with apples.



Apples and caramel on a spice cake...yum!

I have been having a lot of fun playing with my camera and trying to figure out how to use it. My 2 1/2 year old has really enjoyed his mom being distracted with a new hobby and if you look close you can see him trying to sneak apples off the cake in between takes. He thoroughly enjoyed himself (and the yummy apples) and easily forgave me for the earlier neglect.




We also decided to make some cookies while we were at it.



When I was growing up, one of my mom's favourite cookies to make were an oatmeal, coconut, cocoa no-bake cookie. (I think because they were so easy...and because they really did taste good! and no possibility of burning the cookies which she often did, although we always blamed it on a friend of my dad's because everytime she burned cookies he was there.) Anyway, they have always been one of my favourites because they really are SO easy. The kids can help with the dry ingredients.



A few years ago I lost my recipe so I did it from memory and they turned out even better! A lot more moist and fudgy (It turns out I had halved the oatmeal and sugar and doubled the coconut and vanilla). 



The kids all love them and they only take about 10 minutes to make (and then about an hour in the fridge to chill). I thought I would post the recipe...just in case I lose it again!



My variation on mom's cocoa, coconut, oatmeal no bake cookies
(although I think they need a new name...hmm...any thoughts?)

1 1/2 cups oats (not instant)
2 cups unsweetened coconut
1/2 cup cocoa

Mix dry ingredients in a medium sized, heat proof bowl.

In a saucepan melt 1/2 cup butter and then add 1 cup sugar.  Bring to a medium boil and boil for two to three minutes. Then add 1/2 cup milk, simmer for another minute. Take off heat and add 1 tsp vanilla. Quickly add to dry ingredients and stir with wooden spoon. Spoon mixture ( a small ice cream scoop with a release feature works really well) onto a parchment or silpat lined baking sheet. Place in fridge for about an hour (or a little less if the kids are anxious!)

Makes 18-24 depending on size of cookies.




Enjoy!




No comments:

Post a Comment