29 April 2013

Eight Weeks and Counting...

In the midst of the chaos that is my current life I try to take a few moments everyday to relax and breathe. (Sometimes I am so busy that I forget to do that).

This busy-ness is something I would like to get rid of. But, with four kids, three classes to finish and a cross country move weeks away I think it is here to stay for the time being and I am okay with that.

But - I am hoping that settling in Nova Scotia will help with this.

The pace of life is a little slower there ... our house is a little bigger... the beaches are large and often empty ... there is room to breathe. I look forward to quiet and time to think.

Creating a life I want to live takes a lot of work. But the work is good. I love the feeling of moving forward and of getting closer to where and who I want to be. I feel like I am going through a period of refinement.

As I approach 40 I have spent my spare moments thinking about what I really want out of life. I am slowly realizing that I can't do everything. There are so many things that I want to do and be - but - even if I live another 60 years I do not have time to do it all. I am also realizing that I no longer have time for procrastination. So I am contemplating and discovering what is really important to me ... What I want to spend my time on.

My time is valuable.

I didn't know that before. I had heard it but I did not know it.

Eight weeks...today...I start my new adventure.

We will miss our families and friends ... but family is always family and friends are easier to connect with today than they have been in the past - one of the benefits of technology. There are many people that we love that we won't see as often - but, we may talk to them more often and I find that we appreciate each other more when we are apart.

I love that I have the opportunity to create my own path... make a life of my own.

Actually, I think that is in my blood.

My ancestors include many brave individuals who left everything behind to follow their own path.
They included Russian Doukhobors who left Russia and religious persecution to come to Canada and start a new life in a foreign land... pilgrims John Alden and Priscilla Mullens who left England for the United States ... Mormon pioneers who trekked across the United States to find Zion and freedom from religious persecution ... and my grandma who was a warbride and left England to follow her love to Canada leaving all her family behind. Even my husband's parents left England for a new life in Canada.

All faced many challenges but lived lives of their own creation and in the end I don't think any of them regretted the choices they made. I for one am glad for them because without the choices they made I would not be here. And without the many choices and changes I have made in my life I would not be the person that I am. I am grateful for the challenges I have faced and the things I have learned.

Life is about enjoying the journey while never losing sight of where you want to be.

While this busy time may not be the favourite part of my journey - I am trying to appreciate the little things (Visits with family and friends - and the opening of asparagus season and farmer's markets) while frantically trying to finish off everything that needs to get done before I go. And I know that this busy time will only help me to really appreciate the quiet time that I know is coming...

No comments:

Post a Comment